Sunday, February 18, 2007

Day 29 : Hebden Bridge (Day of Rest)

Monday 12th February 2007

Distance Walked: 0 miles
Start Time: n/a
End Time: n/a
Elapsed Time: n/a
Weather: Gloomy and wet.
Distance walked so far: 559.2 miles



This is the story of a boy dissolving. With every step I’m ground away and dispersed. There is clarity now. I feel it. All that was superfluous is shod. The single purpose is all encompassing. I have one direction, and that is northwards, to the top. There has been struggle and moments of doubt. The past three days have been the most challenging of all, and today I rest in the home of my closest friend.

This is the chance to gather my breath and get my bearings. I purchase maps which will take me to Scotland. Supplies are replenished. The aches are tended but do not fade. My toes are numb. I don’t know whether this is good or not.

Whilst my face was turned, the beard appeared. It is as sporadic and unattractive as I suspected. I try to distance myself from it, and it from me. It is a separate entity. A companion, of sorts. For now its execution is delayed.



Song of the day:

Fairport Convention
“Who knows where the time goes”

Across the evening sky, all the birds are leaving
But how can they know it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming
I have no thought of time
For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but you have fine taste in music, Dave. I can almost picture you hanging out with the hippies of Hebden, singing Sandy Denny's finest composition. And you're growing a beard, eh?

You'll soon be a beardy wierdy folkie drinker of real ale like me, if you're not careful... ;-)

Dave Greenwood said...

Thanks Mark. Couldn't do this without the music. How did people cope before ipods?